Vicilibri:Porta communis

E Vicilibris
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Salve!

Please use this page to discuss Vicilibri Latina, as well as just to have general discussion.

See also: Vicilibri:Porta communis/Vetera

Technical Wishes: FileExporter and FileImporter become default features on all Wikis[recensere]

Max Klemm (WMDE) 09:13, 6 Augusti 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Important: maintenance operation on September 1st[recensere]

Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:48, 26 Augusti 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Invitation to participate in the conversation[recensere]

Wiki of functions naming contest[recensere]

21:26, 29 Septembris 2020 (UTC)

Call for feedback about Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws changes and Board candidate rubric[recensere]

Hello. Apologies if you are not reading this message in your native language. Please help translate to your language.

Today the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees starts two calls for feedback. One is about changes to the Bylaws mainly to increase the Board size from 10 to 16 members. The other one is about a trustee candidate rubric to introduce new, more effective ways to evaluate new Board candidates. The Board welcomes your comments through 26 October. For more details, check the full announcement.

Thank you! Qgil-WMF (talk) 17:09, 7 Octobris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Important: maintenance operation on October 27[recensere]

-- Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:10, 21 Octobris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Add Wikisource features[recensere]

Hi all, @Alex1011: @UV: @The Doc: @Dbmag9: @OrbiliusMagister: @Frozen Wind:

I know this project is very low activity right now. I have an idea for some useful content, specifically adaptations for learners. These could be:

  • Parallel text editions, made from Wikisource trascriptions and translations
  • Music lyric editions, with or without translations, for common classical pieces
  • Accented texts, from Wikisource transcriptions
  • Ørberg-style texts, using word notation and graphics

For these to be truly useful, I think it would be helpful to use Wiksource templates to ebooks to compose and export like ebooks. Would anyone like to help migrate the templates, or otherwise help, eg with anything that needs higher permissions than I currently have?

See also, this discussion on en:Wikibooks:Reading room/Proposals

Thanks! JimKillock (disputatio) 09:24, 2 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Update @UV: and others. I am going to start the work of importing the templates from Wikisource that should work with little or no problem. I will produce some demonstration content to show these in user space. There are three elements that need to be done, as I see it:
  • Layout templates for headers, navigation and so on that help present content in a book-like format; should be easy and is a first step
  • Alternate page layouts that look like book layouts, eg narrow columns, serif fonts; this needs creation of a Wikimedia gadget, using WS Javascript and CSS; this is the hardest bit
  • Adding ebook export features: this should be fairly easy but requires WSExport tools to accept creation requests from this project

I will get started this weekend, meanwhile I am hoping someone from Wikibooks or elsewhere with more JS expertise than me (none) might help with the gadget creation. JimKillock (disputatio) 14:48, 14 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@JimKillock, perhaps you do not need to create a gadget at all. I am not entirely sure what you mean by "Alternate page layouts": If you would like to offer readers the possibility to change the page layout according to personal preferences (e. g. one reader might prefer a serif font whereas a different reader might prefer a sans-serif font), then you will probably need to look into gadgets indeed. But if you just would like to offer editors the possibility to change the layout of a specific Wikibook, then there is in my view no need to use a gadget - you can probably use TemplateStyles instead, see mw:Help:TemplateStyles. Greetings, --UV (disputatio) 18:14, 14 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks, yes I think this can be aimed at editors only, which should make implementation much easier. JimKillock (disputatio) 11:35, 15 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@UV: just to let you know, I have got this working at Usor:JimKillock/Formulae and have raised a ticket to see if WSExport can be enabled for ebook export from this wiki. JimKillock (disputatio) 21:35, 26 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Administrator request[recensere]

Hi all, I know this is likely to go unnoticed, but in case anyone editing can respond, I would like to request Administrator status for this site so I can help get Wikisource-style book layout pages implemented. This would allow users of Wikibooks to develop books that behave more like ebooks, including easier creation of navigable book contents, layouts with Serif fonts and Wikipages that feature narrow columns so that the pages preview as an ebooks.

I have some content ideas for English-Latin books that could be implemented this way. I am hoping this would attract some new users to this project. Please let me know if you approve of this request. JimKillock (disputatio) 08:44, 4 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I am not convinced that this is a good idea. Better first find a sufficient number of users who are sufficiently proficient in Latin and willing to contribute to this project more or less regularly. If these specific people find the technical facility you propose helpful, then go ahead. But adding a technical facility that will probably remain unused specifically here on this project, but that will probably need technical maintenance over the years to come is probably not too useful.
An even better idea might be not to implement the technical facility you propose here on the Latin wikibooks, but instead have it integrated into the MediaWiki software/into a MediaWiki extension that will automatically be enabled on all wikibooks projects/on all Wikimedia projects. That way, it will not need to be implemented (and maintained in the years to come!) by Administrators of individual projects, but will instead be implemented and maintained by the MediaWiki developers in one central place for all Wikimedia projects where this facility is useful.
Greetings, --UV (disputatio) 18:30, 5 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I, too, doubt whether this will be useful. It appears that the project has had no active contributors for a long time. I have seen no evidence that the existing pages are used or that more pages are in demand.
I speak from experience because I tested the possibilities of a new Latin project myself, i.e. Latin Wikivoyage, using the incubator. We had three contributors (including UV) who were willing to put in some work and knew Latin. No one else joined us, there is no sign that the pages were used, and all three of us were spending time that we would otherwise have spent on Vicipaedia. The project was recently closed, correctly I think. We all three continued to work on Vicipaedia -- which really has readers, and really has an active contributor base.
I would not, of course, oppose administrator status for you. Far from it: I would be 100% in favour. My problem is with the project. Frankly, Wikimedia has far too many weak and unused projects, and I think this is one of them. Andrew Dalby (disputatio) 09:54, 6 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks both. I understand the skepticism about the project here. The issue is this.
(1) The technical facility would be usful on en Wikibooks, and there is support for it, but nobody wants to implement it, because Wikibooks has been implemented rather differently.
(2) The content I want to contribute does not really fall in the remit of en Wikibooks, nor of Wikisource.
In terms of the extension idea @UV:, that sounds sensible but isn't something I can do. If you have advice about how to request or discuss the idea let me know and will try that – it would simplify doing that here if I go ahead with that.
In terms of the content, @Andrew Dalby: actually this is a lot easier than freshly writing Latin. The content I want to produce really comes in very simple forms. For instance
  • Latin-Engish parallel texts
  • Texts from sources with accent markers added
  • Latin texts, Ørberg style
  • Compilations of lyrics for classical pieces, either with or without transation
  • Other kinds of Latin readers, that do not fall into the purview of Wikisource
This content mostly just needs bringing together, or persuading people who have already done it to donate it. However, without the ebook features, I am blocked from moving forward. (At least, I am not keen on starting these projects without a clear path to my desired end results.)
For instance, I transcribed en:Jánua Linguárum Reseráta (the Vestibulum, that is!); (I lightly adapted the text (spellings and accents) and English translation to make it more useful, so is out of scope of Wikisource); but to produce a reasonable ebook, I had to create a print version, and then export that manually. Really, I want results much closer to wikisource:la:Colloquia familiaria, which I partly transcribed and partly implemented from prior transcriptions, to make an ebook. Currently, I cannot move forward with my ideas, as the content does not fall into Wikisource’s remit, and the facilities do not exist on EN Wikibooks.
In terms of community, if a few decent resources can be put together, then it may be easier to attract new users. If not, then at least i will have prodcued some useful resources that can move elsewhere if necessary in the future.
I think this could be a useful project for Latin teachers or tutors to share their work, for instance. There are many teachers who produce and share short Latin reading texts, whose work could be compiled here (or maybe en Wikibooks) with some encouragement.
I do hope tho, if I can show even with a few demonstration projects that this is a worthwile endeavour, that en Wikibooks finds a way to implement. However I have been waiting nine months without results from a proposal, so I have to conclude it is technically onerous for them at this point. And also, some of the projects above might not be suitable for an English language project. JimKillock (disputatio) 09:46, 8 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Ut @UV: et @Andrew Dalby: dubito, ut multiplicis difficultatibus initium vicilibrorum novum haud facile sit. Praecipue tempus impedimentum maius imponeret (ut illis, qui professionum suarum officiis laborant, ut mihi). Obiter item Iacobi Killock propositum ita prorsus erroneum non existimem, atque ipse ego iam prius interdum textum pathologiae coepit, sane illius partes mutare delereque voluissem at non potuissem, simul neminem administratorem novi. --Andreas Raether (disputatio) 13:33, 8 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I support you for administrator: it is evident that you want to do good and I'm certain you will do no harm!
I am surprised by your choice of an acute accent to mark vowel length. It is occasionally done that way (e.g. to distinguish feminine ablatives from nominatives: we sometimes do that on Vicipaedia) but schoolbooks and dictionaries known to me use a macron for this purpose, and those are really the only environments in which Latin long vowels are consistently marked. But I also feel it's not worth worrying over: a student could easily learn the system, that's what matters. Andrew Dalby (disputatio) 14:02, 8 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks … on the vowel mark, there are a few of us who do this, but I agree it is not common and would not wish to force others to use it. It is as you know I am sure closer to how Latin originally marked long vowels, but mostly it is less ugly than macrons, as fonts have been designed forever with accents.
I am going to pursue the MediaWiki extension point as mentioned. JimKillock (disputatio) 21:57, 10 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hopefully to bring this to a conclusion: @UV: I will if granted adminship try to limit any technical contributions that need particular maintenance, and do things as simply as possible. It seems that we can avoid gadgets except for the WSExport facility. If I get admin rights I will also try to deal with @Andreas Raether:'s deletion issues. Lastly @Andrew Dalby: and all, I appreciate the points about needing to get a community here and the difficulty of that in practice; if I get adminship I will at the very least create some useful content here, along the lines I proposed, aimed at learners, and promote that. I am hopeful that people will see the products as easy to imitate and contribute to. Plus, many people for instance teachers have their own self-created Latin resources they could add here (that are not appropriate for Wikisource or Vicipaedia) – it may be a question of asking rather than creating. Finally, I will try to audit the project for anything that has been added that is especially useful or already complete and link that from the front page - Andrea's book for instance is not linked there but clearly the most well-developed item on this Wiki. JimKillock (disputatio) 11:43, 15 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wiki of functions naming contest - Round 2[recensere]

22:10, 5 Novembris 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021[recensere]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:09, 20 Novembris 2020 (UTC)

Progress with ebooks tools[recensere]

Just to let everyone know, the ebook tools are now mostly in place, with the exception of the ebook export tool. I am discussing how this might be put to use on Phabricator. JimKillock (disputatio) 22:09, 27 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@UV: Do you know by any chance why I can add "Modules" but they are not recognised (are not summoned by scripts when named)? For instance: Module:TOCstyle is not recognised, by Formula:TOCstyle? JimKillock (disputatio) 12:30, 28 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sorry, I do not know Lua modules well enough to help about this. Generally, as I explained above, I am not convinced of the usefulness of adding technical facilities here on la.wikibooks - no one is currently using them, and they may need maintenance in the future that no one may be able to provide here on la.wikibooks. Greetings, --UV (disputatio) 19:51, 28 Novembris 2020 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikidata descriptions changes to be included more often in Recent Changes and Watchlist[recensere]

2020 Coolest Tool Award Ceremony on December 11th[recensere]

Community Wishlist Survey 2021[recensere]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

00:51, 15 Decembris 2020 (UTC)

Moving Wikimania 2021 to a Virtual Event[recensere]

Wikimania's logo.

Hello. Apologies if you are not reading this message in your native language. Please help translate to your language. Thank you!

Wikimania will be a virtual event this year, and hosted by a wide group of community members. Whenever the next in-person large gathering is possible again, the ESEAP Core Organizing Team will be in charge of it. Stay tuned for more information about how you can get involved in the planning process and other aspects of the event. Please read the longer version of this announcement on wikimedia-l.

ESEAP Core Organizing Team, Wikimania Steering Committee, Wikimedia Foundation Events Team, 15:15, 27 Ianuarii 2021 (UTC)

Project Grant Open Call[recensere]

This is the announcement for the Project Grants program open call that started on January 11, with the submission deadline of February 10, 2021.
This first open call will be focussed on Community Organizing proposals. A second open call focused on research and software proposals is scheduled from February 15 with a submission deadline of March 16, 2021.

For the Round 1 open call, we invite you to propose grant applications that fall under community development and organizing (offline and online) categories. Project Grant funds are available to support individuals, groups, and organizations to implement new experiments and proven ideas, from organizing a better process on your wiki, coordinating a campaign or editathon series to providing other support for community building. We offer the following resources to help you plan your project and complete a grant proposal:

Program officers are also available to offer individualized proposal support upon request. Contact us if you would like feedback or more information.

We are excited to see your grant ideas that will support our community and make an impact on the future of Wikimedia projects. Put your idea into motion, and submit your proposal by February 10, 2021!

Please feel free to get in touch with questions about getting started with your grant application, or about serving on the Project Grants Committee. Contact us at projectgrantsFormula:Atwikimedia.org. Please help us translate this message to your local language. MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 08:00, 28 Ianuarii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 is back![recensere]

Please help translate to your language

Wiki Loves Folklore Logo.svg

You are humbly invited to participate in the Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 an international photography contest organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore and intangible cultural heritage from different regions, including, folk creative activities and many more. It is held every year from the 1st till the 28th of February.

You can help in enriching the folklore documentation on Commons from your region by taking photos, audios, videos, and submitting them in this commons contest.

Please support us in translating the project page and a banner message to help us spread the word in your native language.

Kind regards,

Wiki loves Folklore International Team

MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 13:25, 6 Februarii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Liber novus: Dictionarium Angliae Topographicum[recensere]

I'm compiling a book with minor Latin placenames at Dictionarium Angliae Topographicum; these are mostly found from county place name books. I've added {{cite book}} but again the modules seem to cache any errors and take unpredictable times to clear, so it is currently non-functional, so I haven't added references yet.

Many of the place-names will be for names without articles on en.wikipedia.org so may not qualify for 'notability' (eg, street names, woods, minor locations). However they may be useful for maps, for instance. Others will be places already noted on en.wikipedia but not yet on la.wikipedia. Some will be obvious name sets, like royal forests, churches and abbeys, that are reasonably easy to find from the medieval Latin corpus.

Over time I may add information that is already on la.wikipedia, but I'll take care that anything I find that is useful for la.wikipedia is there also. And of course, contributions are welcome! JimKillock (disputatio) 14:43, 6 Februarii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Proposal: Set two-letter project shortcuts as alias to project namespace globally[recensere]

Please help translate to your language

Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting in English. I would like to inform everyone that I created a new global request for comment (GRFC) at Meta Wiki, which may affect your project: m:Requests for comment/Set short project namespace aliases by default globally.

In this GRFC, I propose that two-project shortcuts for project names will become a default alias for the project namespace. For instance, on all Wikipedias, WP will be an alias to the Wikipedia: namespace (and similar for other projects). Full list is available in the GRFC.

This is already the case for Wikivoyages, and many individual projects asked for this alias to be implemented. I believe this makes it easier to access the materials in the project namespace, as well as creating shortcuts like WP:NPOV, as well as helps new projects to use this feature, without having to figure out how to request site configuration changes first.

As far as I can see, Vicilibri currently does not have such an alias set. This means that such an alias will be set for you, if the GRFC is accepted by the global community.

I would like to ask all community members to participate in the request for comment at Meta-Wiki, see m:Requests for comment/Set short project namespace aliases by default globally.

Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions about this proposal.

Best regards,
--Martin Urbanec (talk) 14:12, 18 Februarii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikifunctions logo contest[recensere]

01:45, 2 Martii 2021 (UTC)

Universal Code of Conduct – 2021 consultations[recensere]

Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2[recensere]

Please help translate to your language

The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) provides a universal baseline of acceptable behavior for the entire Wikimedia movement and all its projects. The project is currently in Phase 2, outlining clear enforcement pathways. You can read more about the whole project on its project page.

Drafting Committee: Call for applications[recensere]

The Wikimedia Foundation is recruiting volunteers to join a committee to draft how to make the code enforceable. Volunteers on the committee will commit between 2 and 6 hours per week from late April through July and again in October and November. It is important that the committee be diverse and inclusive, and have a range of experiences, including both experienced users and newcomers, and those who have received or responded to, as well as those who have been falsely accused of harassment.

To apply and learn more about the process, see Universal Code of Conduct/Drafting committee.

2021 community consultations: Notice and call for volunteers / translators[recensere]

From 5 April – 5 May 2021 there will be conversations on many Wikimedia projects about how to enforce the UCoC. We are looking for volunteers to translate key material, as well as to help host consultations on their own languages or projects using suggested key questions. If you are interested in volunteering for either of these roles, please contact us in whatever language you are most comfortable.

To learn more about this work and other conversations taking place, see Universal Code of Conduct/2021 consultations.

-- Xeno (WMF) (talk) 21:45, 5 Aprilis 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Line numbering coming soon to all wikis[recensere]

-- Johanna Strodt (WMDE) 15:08, 12 Aprilis 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Suggested Values[recensere]

Timur Vorkul (WMDE) 14:08, 22 Aprilis 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct News – Issue 1[recensere]

Universal Code of Conduct News
Issue 1, June 2021Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the first issue of Universal Code of Conduct News! This newsletter will help Wikimedians stay involved with the development of the new code, and will distribute relevant news, research, and upcoming events related to the UCoC.

Please note, this is the first issue of UCoC Newsletter which is delivered to all subscribers and projects as an announcement of the initiative. If you want the future issues delivered to your talk page, village pumps, or any specific pages you find appropriate, you need to subscribe here.

You can help us by translating the newsletter issues in your languages to spread the news and create awareness of the new conduct to keep our beloved community safe for all of us. Please add your name here if you want to be informed of the draft issue to translate beforehand. Your participation is valued and appreciated.

  • Affiliate consultations – Wikimedia affiliates of all sizes and types were invited to participate in the UCoC affiliate consultation throughout March and April 2021. (continue reading)
  • 2021 key consultations – The Wikimedia Foundation held enforcement key questions consultations in April and May 2021 to request input about UCoC enforcement from the broader Wikimedia community. (continue reading)
  • Roundtable discussions – The UCoC facilitation team hosted two 90-minute-long public roundtable discussions in May 2021 to discuss UCoC key enforcement questions. More conversations are scheduled. (continue reading)
  • Phase 2 drafting committee – The drafting committee for the phase 2 of the UCoC started their work on 12 May 2021. Read more about their work. (continue reading)
  • Diff blogs – The UCoC facilitators wrote several blog posts based on interesting findings and insights from each community during local project consultation that took place in the 1st quarter of 2021. (continue reading)

--MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 23:05, 11 Iunii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikimania 2021: Individual Program Submissions[recensere]

Wikimania logo with text 2.svg

Dear all,

Wikimania 2021 will be hosted virtually for the first time in the event's 15-year history. Since there is no in-person host, the event is being organized by a diverse group of Wikimedia volunteers that form the Core Organizing Team (COT) for Wikimania 2021.

Event Program - Individuals or a group of individuals can submit their session proposals to be a part of the program. There will be translation support for sessions provided in a number of languages. See more information here.

Below are some links to guide you through;

Please note that the deadline for submission is 18th June 2021.

Announcements- To keep up to date with the developments around Wikimania, the COT sends out weekly updates. You can view them in the Announcement section here.

Office Hour - If you are left with questions, the COT will be hosting some office hours (in multiple languages), in multiple time-zones, to answer any programming questions that you might have. Details can be found here.

Best regards,

MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 04:18, 16 Iunii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

On behalf of Wikimania 2021 Core Organizing Team

Editing news 2021 #2[recensere]

14:14, 24 Iunii 2021 (UTC)

Server switch[recensere]

SGrabarczuk (WMF) 01:19, 27 Iunii 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee[recensere]

Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 1, 2021.

The Committee is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation.

English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members will receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.

We are looking for people who have some of the following skills:

  • Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
  • Are ready to find compromises.
  • Focus on inclusion and diversity.
  • Have knowledge of community consultations.
  • Have intercultural communication experience.
  • Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
  • Have experience negotiating with different parties.

The Committee is expected to start with 15 people. If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen. If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.

Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy here. Please contact strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org with questions.

Xeno (WMF) (disputatio) 00:12, 3 Augusti 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct - Enforcement draft guidelines review[recensere]

The Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2 drafting committee would like comments about the enforcement draft guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). This review period is planned for 17 August 2021 through 17 October 2021.

These guidelines are not final but you can help move the progress forward. The committee will revise the guidelines based upon community input.

Comments can be shared in any language on the draft review talk page and multiple other venues. Community members are encouraged to organize conversations in their communities.

There are planned live discussions about the UCoC enforcement draft guidelines:

Wikimania 2021 session (recorded 16 August)
Conversation hours - 24 August, 31 August, 7 September @ 03:00 UTC & 14:00 UTC
Roundtable calls - 18 September @ 03:00 UTC & 15:00 UTC

Summaries of discussions will be posted every two weeks here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Xeno (WMF) 22:09, 17 Augusti 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election has come to an end[recensere]

Thank you for participating in the 2021 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election! Voting closed August 31 at 23:59. The official data, including the four most voted candidates, will be announced as soon as the Elections Committee completes their review of the ballots. The official announcement of the new trustees appointed will happen later, once the selected candidates have been confirmed by the Board.

6,946 community members from 216 wiki projects have voted. This makes 10.2% global participation, 1.1% higher than in the last Board elections. In 2017, 5167 people from 202 wiki projects cast their vote. A full analysis is planned to be published in a few days when the confirmed results are announced. In the meantime, you can check the data produced during the election.

Diversity was an important goal with these elections. Messages about the Board election were translated into 61 languages. This outreach worked well. There were 70 communities with eligible voters voting in this election for the first time. With your help, next year’s Board of Trustees election will be even better.

21:00, 1 Septembris 2021 (UTC)

The 2022 Community Wishlist Survey will happen in January[recensere]

SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 00:23, 7 Septembris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Server switch[recensere]

SGrabarczuk (WMF) (disputatio) 00:45, 11 Septembris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Talk to the Community Tech[recensere]

Formula:Dir

Read this message in another languagePlease help translate to your language

Hello!

As we have recently announced, we, the team working on the Community Wishlist Survey, would like to invite you to an online meeting with us. It will take place on September 15th, 23:00 UTC on Zoom, and will last an hour. Click here to join.

Agenda

Format

The meeting will not be recorded or streamed. Notes without attribution will be taken and published on Meta-Wiki. The presentation (first three points in the agenda) will be given in English.

We can answer questions asked in English, French, Polish, and Spanish. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the Community Wishlist Survey talk page or send to sgrabarczuk@wikimedia.org.

Natalia Rodriguez (the Community Tech manager) will be hosting this meeting.

Invitation link

See you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (disputatio) 03:03, 11 Septembris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

ALPES Ancient Language Promotion, Education and Support[recensere]

Apud meta, volo creare gregem novam, ALPES, sive Ancient Language Promotion, Education and Support, ad usores et scriptores omnibus linguis antiquis. Quaeso, si vis, da nomen tuum in pagina! --JimKillock (disputatio) 07:58, 17 Septembris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting committee is now open[recensere]

Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting committee is now open. In total, 70 Wikimedians from around the world are running for 7 seats in these elections.

Voting is open from October 12 to October 24, 2021.

The committee will consist of 15 members in total: The online communities vote for 7 members, 6 members will be selected by the Wikimedia affiliates through a parallel process, and 2 members will be appointed by the Wikimedia Foundation. The plan is to assemble the committee by November 1, 2021.

Learn about each candidate to inform your vote in the language that you prefer: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Candidates>

Learn about the Drafting Committee: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee>

We are piloting a voting advice application for this election. Click yourself through the tool and you will see which candidate is closest to you! Check at <https://mcdc-election-compass.toolforge.org/>

Read the full announcement: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Elections>

Go vote at SecurePoll on: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Elections>

Best,

Movement Strategy & Governance Team, Wikimedia Foundation

Xeno (WMF) 16:35, 13 Octobris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Meet the new Movement Charter Drafting Committee members[recensere]

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee election and selection processes are complete.

The committee will convene soon to start its work. The committee can appoint up to three more members to bridge diversity and expertise gaps.

If you are interested in engaging with Movement Charter drafting process, follow the updates on Meta and join the Telegram group.

With thanks from the Movement Strategy and Governance team

15:53, 5 Novembris 2021 (UTC)

Upcoming Call for Feedback about the Board of Trustees elections[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Board of Trustees is preparing a call for feedback about the upcoming Board Elections, from January 7 - February 10, 2022.

While details will be finalized the week before the call, we have confirmed at least two questions that will be asked during this call for feedback:

  • What is the best way to ensure fair representation of emerging communities among the Board?
  • What involvement should candidates have during the election?

While additional questions may be added, the Movement Strategy and Governance team wants to provide time for community members and affiliates to consider and prepare ideas on the confirmed questions before the call opens. We apologize for not having a complete list of questions at this time. The list of questions should only grow by one or two questions. The intention is to not overwhelm the community with requests, but provide notice and welcome feedback on these important questions.

Do you want to help organize local conversation during this Call?

Contact the Movement Strategy and Governance team on Meta, on Telegram, or via email at msg(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Reach out if you have any questions or concerns. The Movement Strategy and Governance team will be minimally staffed until January 3. Please excuse any delayed response during this time. We also recognize some community members and affiliates are offline during the December holidays. We apologize if our message has reached you while you are on holiday.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Thank you. Xeno (WMF) 17:41, 27 Decembris 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wiki Loves Folklore is back![recensere]

Please help translate to your language

Wiki Loves Folklore Logo.svg

You are humbly invited to participate in the Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 an international photography contest organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore and intangible cultural heritage from different regions, including, folk creative activities and many more. It is held every year from the 1st till the 28th of February.

You can help in enriching the folklore documentation on Commons from your region by taking photos, audios, videos, and submitting them in this commons contest.

You can also organize a local contest in your country and support us in translating the project pages to help us spread the word in your native language.

Feel free to contact us on our project Talk page if you need any assistance.

Kind regards,

Wiki loves Folklore International Team

--MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 13:15, 9 Ianuarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Call for Feedback about the Board of Trustees elections is now open[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Call for Feedback: Board of Trustees elections is now open and will close on 7 February 2022.

With this Call for Feedback, the Movement Strategy and Governance team is taking a different approach. This approach incorporates community feedback from 2021. Instead of leading with proposals, the Call is framed around key questions from the Board of Trustees. The key questions came from the feedback about the 2021 Board of Trustees election. The intention is to inspire collective conversation and collaborative proposal development about these key questions.

Join the conversation.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Xeno (WMF) 00:18, 15 Ianuarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Subscribe to the This Month in Education newsletter - learn from others and share your stories[recensere]

Dear community members,

Greetings from the EWOC Newsletter team and the education team at Wikimedia Foundation. We are very excited to share that we on tenth years of Education Newsletter (This Month in Education) invite you to join us by subscribing to the newsletter on your talk page or by sharing your activities in the upcoming newsletters. The Wikimedia Education newsletter is a monthly newsletter that collects articles written by community members using Wikimedia projects in education around the world, and it is published by the EWOC Newsletter team in collaboration with the Education team. These stories can bring you new ideas to try, valuable insights about the success and challenges of our community members in running education programs in their context.

If your affiliate/language project is developing its own education initiatives, please remember to take advantage of this newsletter to publish your stories with the wider movement that shares your passion for education. You can submit newsletter articles in your own language or submit bilingual articles for the education newsletter. For the month of January the deadline to submit articles is on the 20th January. We look forward to reading your stories.

Older versions of this newsletter can be found in the complete archive.

More information about the newsletter can be found at Education/Newsletter/About.

For more information, please contact spatnaikFormula:@wikimedia.org.


About This Month in Education · Subscribe/Unsubscribe · Global message delivery · For the team: ZI Jony (Talk), dies Iovis 10:49, 29 September 2022 (UTC)

Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 5[recensere]

Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 5, January 2022Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the fifth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News (formerly known as Universal Code of Conduct News)! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board elections and other relevant MSG topics.

This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly or bi-weekly to subscribers. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive these updates.

  • Call for Feedback about the Board elections - We invite you to give your feedback on the upcoming WMF Board of Trustees election. This call for feedback went live on 10th January 2022 and will be concluded on 16th February 2022. (continue reading)
  • Universal Code of Conduct Ratification - In 2021, the WMF asked communities about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct policy text. The revised draft of the enforcement guidelines should be ready for community vote in March. (continue reading)
  • Movement Strategy Implementation Grants - As we continue to review several interesting proposals, we encourage and welcome more proposals and ideas that target a specific initiative from the Movement Strategy recommendations. (continue reading)
  • The New Direction for the Newsletter - As the UCoC Newsletter transitions into MSG Newsletter, join the facilitation team in envisioning and deciding on the new directions for this newsletter. (continue reading)
  • Diff Blogs - Check out the most recent publications about MSG on Wikimedia Diff. (continue reading)

Xeno (WMF) 02:51, 29 Ianuarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Updates on the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines Review[recensere]

Hello, I have an update on the vote on the enforcement guidelines that was mentioned above. Xeno (WMF) (disputatio) 01:53, 4 Februarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]


You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) Enforcement Guidelines were published 24 January 2022 as a proposed way to apply the Universal Code of Conduct across the movement. Comments about the guidelines can be shared here or the Meta-wiki talk page.

There will be conversations on Zoom on 4 February 2022 at 15:00 UTC, 25 February 2022 at 12:00 UTC, and 4 March 2022 at 15:00 UTC. Join the UCoC project team and drafting committee members to discuss the guidelines and voting process.

The timeline is available on Meta-wiki. The voting period is March 7 to 21. See the voting information page for more details.

Thank you to everyone who has participated so far.

Sincerely,

Movement Strategy and Governance
Wikimedia Foundation

Administrator request[recensere]

Hi all, I am going to request administrator status again. The main issue is to keep the front page updated, and encourage some new books / projects. Please let me know if you support my request. --JimKillock (disputatio) 12:33, 2 Februarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Leadership Development Task Force: Your feedback is appreciated[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Community Development team at the Wikimedia Foundation is supporting the creation of a global, community-driven Leadership Development Task Force. The purpose of the task force is to advise leadership development work.

The team is looking for feedback about the responsibilities of the Leadership Development Task Force. This Meta page shares the proposal for a Leadership Development Task Force and how you can help. Feedback on the proposal will be collected from 7 to 25 February 2022.

Xeno (WMF) 01:13, 9 Februarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wiki Loves Folklore is extended till 15th March[recensere]

Please help translate to your language
Wiki Loves Folklore Logo.svg

Greetings from Wiki Loves Folklore International Team,

We are pleased to inform you that Wiki Loves Folklore an international photographic contest on Wikimedia Commons has been extended till the 15th of March 2022. The scope of the contest is focused on folk culture of different regions on categories, such as, but not limited to, folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, folk activities, etc.

We would like to have your immense participation in the photographic contest to document your local Folk culture on Wikipedia. You can also help with the translation of project pages and share a word in your local language.

Best wishes,

International Team
Wiki Loves Folklore

MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 04:50, 22 Februarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Coming soon[recensere]

- Johanna Strodt (WMDE) 12:38, 28 Februarii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Remember to Participate in the UCoC Conversations and Ratification Vote![recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

A vote in SecurePoll from 7 to 21 March 2022 is scheduled as part of the ratification process for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) Enforcement guidelines. Eligible voters are invited to answer a poll question and share comments. Read voter information and eligibility details. During the poll, voters will be asked if they support the enforcement of the Universal Code of Conduct based on the proposed guidelines.

The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) provides a baseline of acceptable behavior for the entire movement. The revised enforcement guidelines were published 24 January 2022 as a proposed way to apply the policy across the movement. A Wikimedia Foundation Board statement calls for a ratification process where eligible voters will have an opportunity to support or oppose the adoption of the UCoC Enforcement guidelines in a vote. Wikimedians are invited to translate and share important information. For more information about the UCoC, please see the project page and frequently asked questions on Meta-wiki.

There are events scheduled to learn more and discuss:

  • A community panel recorded on 18 February 2022 shares perspectives from small- and medium-sized community participants.
  • The Movement Strategy and Governance (MSG) team is hosting Conversation Hours on 4 March 2022 at 15:00 UTC. Please sign-up to interact with the project team and the drafting committee about the updated enforcement guidelines and the ratification process. See the Conversation Hour summaries for notes from 4 February 2022 and 25 February 2022.

You can comment on Meta-wiki talk pages in any language. You may also contact either team by email: msg(_AT_)wikimedia.org or ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Sincerely,

Movement Strategy and Governance
Wikimedia Foundation

Xeno (WMF) 02:17, 2 Martii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines ratification voting open from 7 to 21 March 2022[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

The ratification voting process for the revised enforcement guidelines of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) is now open! Voting commenced on SecurePoll on 7 March 2022 and will conclude on 21 March 2022. Please read more on the voter information and eligibility details.

The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) provides a baseline of acceptable behavior for the entire movement. The revised enforcement guidelines were published 24 January 2022 as a proposed way to apply the policy across the movement. You can read more about the UCoC project.

You can also comment on Meta-wiki talk pages in any language. You may also contact the team by email: ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Sincerely,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Wikimedia Foundation

Xeno (WMF) 00:52, 8 Martii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Invitation to Hubs event: Global Conversation on 2022-03-12 at 13:00 UTC[recensere]

Hello!

The Movement Strategy and Governance team of the Wikimedia Foundation would like to invite you to the next event about "Regional and Thematic Hubs". The Wikimedia Movement is in the process of understanding what Regional and Thematic Hubs should be. Our workshop in November was a good start (read the report), but we're not finished yet.

Over the last weeks we conducted about 16 interviews with groups working on establishing a Hub in their context (see Hubs Dialogue). These interviews informed a report that will serve as a foundation for discussion on March 12. The report is planned to be published on March 9.

The event will take place on March 12, 13:00 to 16:00 UTC on Zoom. Interpretation will be provided in French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, and Portuguese. Registration is open, and will close on March 10. Anyone interested in the topic is invited to join us. More information on the event on Meta-wiki.

Best regards,

Kaarel Vaidla
Movement Strategy

01:31, 10 Martii 2022 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 ends tomorrow[recensere]

Wiki Loves Folklore Logo.svg

International photographic contest Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 ends on 15th March 2022 23:59:59 UTC. This is the last chance of the year to upload images about local folk culture, festival, cuisine, costume, folklore etc on Wikimedia Commons. Watch out our social media handles for regular updates and declaration of Winners.

(Facebook , Twitter , Instagram)

The writing competition Feminism and Folklore will run till 31st of March 2022 23:59:59 UTC. Write about your local folk tradition, women, folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, folk activities, folk games, folk cuisine, folk wear, folklore, and tradition, including ballads, folktales, fairy tales, legends, traditional song and dance, folk plays, games, seasonal events, calendar customs, folk arts, folk religion, mythology etc. on your local Wikipedia. Check if your local Wikipedia is participating

A special competition called Wiki Loves Falles is organised in Spain and the world during 15th March 2022 till 15th April 2022 to document local folk culture and Falles in Valencia, Spain. Learn more about it on Catalan Wikipedia project page.

We look forward for your immense co-operation.

Thanks Wiki Loves Folklore international Team MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 14:40, 14 Martii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Leadership Development Working Group: Apply to join! (14 March to 10 April 2022)[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the feedback period for the Leadership Development Working Group initiative. A summary of the feedback can be found on Meta-wiki. This feedback will be shared with the working group to inform their work. The application period to join the Working Group is now open and will close on April 10, 2022. Please review the information about the working group, share with community members who might be interested, and apply if you are interested.

Thank you,

From the Community Development team

Xeno (WMF) 02:20, 18 Martii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines ratification voting is now closed[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Greetings,

The ratification voting process for the revised enforcement guidelines of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) came to a close on 21 March 2022. Over 2300 Wikimedians voted across different regions of our movement. Thank you to everyone who participated in this process! The scrutinizing group is now reviewing the vote for accuracy, so please allow up to two weeks for them to finish their work.

The final results from the voting process will be announced here, along with the relevant statistics and a summary of comments as soon as they are available. Please check out the voter information page to learn about the next steps. You can comment on the project talk page on Meta-wiki in any language. You may also contact the UCoC project team by email: ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Best regards,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Xeno (WMF) 01:53, 30 Martii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 6[recensere]

Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 6, April 2022Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the sixth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board of trustees elections and other relevant MSG topics.

This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while the more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive future issues of this newsletter.

  • Leadership Development - A Working Group is Forming! - The application to join the Leadership Development Working Group closed on April 10th, 2022, and up to 12 community members will be selected to participate in the working group. (continue reading)
  • Universal Code of Conduct Ratification Results are out! - The global decision process on the enforcement of the UCoC via SecurePoll was held from 7 to 21 March. Over 2,300 eligible voters from at least 128 different home projects submitted their opinions and comments. (continue reading)
  • Movement Discussions on Hubs - The Global Conversation event on Regional and Thematic Hubs was held on Saturday, March 12, and was attended by 84 diverse Wikimedians from across the movement. (continue reading)
  • Movement Strategy Grants Remain Open! - Since the start of the year, six proposals with a total value of about $80,000 USD have been approved. Do you have a movement strategy project idea? Reach out to us! (continue reading)
  • The Movement Charter Drafting Committee is All Set! - The Committee of fifteen members which was elected in October 2021, has agreed on the essential values and methods for its work, and has started to create the outline of the Movement Charter draft. (continue reading)
  • Introducing Movement Strategy Weekly - Contribute and Subscribe! - The MSG team have just launched the updates portal, which is connected to the various Movement Strategy pages on Meta-wiki. Subscriber to get up-to-date news about the various ongoing projects. (continue reading)
  • Diff Blogs - Check out the most recent publications about Movement Strategy on Wikimedia Diff. (continue reading)

Also, a draft of the 2022-23 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan has been published. Input is being sought on-wiki and during several conversations with Wikimedia Foundation CEO Maryana Iskander.

See full announcement on Meta-wiki. Xeno (WMF) 01:45, 22 Aprilis 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Coming soon: Improvements for templates[recensere]

-- Johanna Strodt (WMDE) 11:13, 29 Aprilis 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Editing news 2022 #1[recensere]

Read this in another languageSubscription list for this multilingual newsletter

New editors were more successful with this new tool.

The New topic tool helps editors create new ==Sections== on discussion pages. New editors are more successful with this new tool. You can read the report. Soon, the Editing team will offer this to all editors at the 20 Wikipedias that participated in the test. You will be able to turn it off at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion.

Whatamidoing (WMF) 18:55, 2 Maii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

2022 Board of Trustees Call for Candidates[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Board of Trustees seeks candidates for the 2022 Board of Trustees election. Read more on Meta-wiki.

The 2022 Board of Trustees election is here! Please consider submitting your candidacy to serve on the Board of Trustees.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. Community-and-affiliate selected trustees and Board-appointed trustees make up the Board of Trustees. Each trustee serves a three year term. The Wikimedia community has the opportunity to vote for community-and-affiliate selected trustees.

The Wikimedia community will vote to fill two seats on the Board in 2022. This is an opportunity to improve the representation, diversity, and expertise of the Board as a team.

Who are potential candidates? Are you a potential candidate? Find out more on the Apply to be a Candidate page.

Thank you for your support,

Movement Strategy and Governance on behalf of the Elections Committee and the Board of Trustees
10:39, 10 Maii 2022 (UTC)

Revisions to the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) Enforcement Guidelines[recensere]

Hello all,

We'd like to provide an update on the work on the Enforcement Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct. After the conclusion of the community vote on the guidelines in March, the Community Affairs committee (CAC) of the Board asked that several areas of the guidelines be reviewed for improvements before the Board does its final review. These areas were identified based on community discussions and comments provided during the vote. The CAC also requested review of the controversial Note in 3.1 of the UCoC itself.

Once more, a big thank you to all who voted, especially to all who left constructive feedback and comments! The project team is working with the Board to establish a timeline for this work, and will communicate this next month.

Members of the two prior UCoC Drafting Committees have generously offered their time to help shape improvements to the Guidelines. You can read more about them and their work here, as well as read summaries of their weekly meetings in 2022.

Wikimedians have provided many valuable comments together with the vote and in other conversations. Given the size and diversity of the Wikimedia community, there are even more voices out there who can give ideas on how to improve the enforcement guidelines and add even more valuable ideas to the process. To help the Revisions committee identify improvements, input on several questions for the committee’s review is requested. Visit the Meta-wiki pages (Enforcement Guidelines revision discussions, Policy text revision discussions) to get your ideas to the Committee - it is very important that viewpoints are heard from different communities before the Committee begins drafting revision proposals.

On behalf of the UCoC project team

Xeno (WMF) 22:56, 3 Iunii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Results of Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 is out![recensere]

Please help translate to your language

Wiki Loves Folklore Logo.svg

Hi, Greetings

The winners for Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 is announced!

We are happy to share with you winning images for this year's edition. This year saw over 8,584 images represented on commons in over 92 countries. Kindly see images here

Our profound gratitude to all the people who participated and organized local contests and photo walks for this project.

We hope to have you contribute to the campaign next year.

Thank you,

Wiki Loves Folklore International Team

--MediaWiki message delivery (disputatio) 16:12, 4 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Propose statements for the 2022 Election Compass[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi all,

Community members in the 2022 Board of Trustees election are invited to propose statements to use in the Election Compass.

An Election Compass is a tool to help voters select the candidates that best align with their beliefs and views. The community members will propose statements for the candidates to answer using a Lickert scale (agree/neutral/disagree). The candidates’ answers to the statements will be loaded into the Election Compass tool. Voters will use the tool by entering in their answer to the statements (agree/disagree/neutral). The results will show the candidates that best align with the voter’s beliefs and views.

Here is the timeline for the Election Compass
  • July 8 - 20: Community members propose statements for the Election Compass
  • July 21 - 22: Elections Committee reviews statements for clarity and removes off-topic statements
  • July 23 - August 1: Volunteers vote on the statements
  • August 2 - 4: Elections Committee selects the top 15 statements
  • August 5 - 12: candidates align themselves with the statements
  • August 15: The Election Compass opens for voters to use to help guide their voting decision

The Elections Committee will select the top 15 statements at the beginning of August. The Elections Committee will oversee the process, supported by the Movement Strategy and Governance team. MSG will check that the questions are clear, there are no duplicates, no typos, and so on.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

MNadzikiewicz (WMF) (talk) 11:34, 14 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 7[recensere]

Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 7, July-September 2022Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the 7th issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News! The newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the implementation of Wikimedia's Movement Strategy recommendations, other relevant topics regarding Movement governance, as well as different projects and activities supported by the Movement Strategy and Governance (MSG) team of the Wikimedia Foundation.

The MSG Newsletter is delivered quarterly, while the more frequent Movement Strategy Weekly will be delivered weekly. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive future issues of this newsletter.

  • Movement sustainability: Wikimedia Foundation's annual sustainability report has been published. (continue reading)
  • Improving user experience: recent improvements on the desktop interface for Wikimedia projects. (continue reading)
  • Safety and inclusion: updates on the revision process of the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines. (continue reading)
  • Equity in decisionmaking: reports from Hubs pilots conversations, recent progress from the Movement Charter Drafting Committee, and a new white paper for futures of participation in the Wikimedia movement. (continue reading)
  • Stakeholders coordination: launch of a helpdesk for Affiliates and volunteer communities working on content partnership. (continue reading)
  • Leadership development: updates on leadership projects by Wikimedia movement organizers in Brazil and Cape Verde. (continue reading)
  • Internal knowledge management: launch of a new portal for technical documentation and community resources. (continue reading)
  • Innovate in free knowledge: high-quality audiovisual resources for scientific experiments and a new toolkit to record oral transcripts. (continue reading)
  • Evaluate, iterate, and adapt: results from the Equity Landscape project pilot (continue reading)
  • Other news and updates: a new forum to discuss Movement Strategy implementation, upcoming Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election, a new podcast to discuss Movement Strategy, and change of personnel for the Foundation's Movement Strategy and Governance team. (continue reading)

Thank you for reading! RamzyM (WMF) 01:37, 18 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Announcing the six candidates for the 2022 Board of Trustees election[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi everyone,

The Affiliate voting process has concluded. Representatives from each Affiliate organization learned about the candidates by reading candidates’ statements, reviewing candidates’ answers to questions, and considering the candidates’ ratings provided by the Analysis Committee. The selected 2022 Board of Trustees candidates are:

You may see more information about the Results and Statistics of this Board election.

Please take a moment to appreciate the Affiliate Representatives and Analysis Committee members for taking part in this process and helping to grow the Board of Trustees in capacity and diversity. These hours of volunteer work connect us across understanding and perspective. Thank you for your participation.

Thank you to the community members who put themselves forward as candidates for the Board of Trustees. Considering joining the Board of Trustees is no small decision. The time and dedication candidates have shown to this point speaks to their commitment to this movement. Congratulations to those candidates who have been selected. A great amount of appreciation and gratitude for those candidates not selected. Please continue to share your leadership with Wikimedia.

Thank you to those who followed the Affiliate process for this Board election. You may review the results of the Affiliate selection process.

The next part of the Board election process is the community voting period. You may view the Board election timeline here. To prepare for the community voting period, there are several things community members can engage with in the following ways:

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

MNadzikiewicz (WMF) 14:03, 27 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Vote for Election Compass Statements[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi all,

Volunteers in the 2022 Board of Trustees election are invited to vote for statements to use in the Election Compass. You can vote for the statements you would like to see included in the Election Compass on Meta-wiki.

An Election Compass is a tool to help voters select the candidates that best align with their beliefs and views. The community members will propose statements for the candidates to answer using a Lickert scale (agree/neutral/disagree). The candidates’ answers to the statements will be loaded into the Election Compass tool. Voters will use the tool by entering in their answer to the statements (agree/disagree/neutral). The results will show the candidates that best align with the voter’s beliefs and views.

Here is the timeline for the Election Compass:

  • July 8 - 20: Volunteers propose statements for the Election Compass
  • July 21 - 22: Elections Committee reviews statements for clarity and removes off-topic statements
  • July 23 - August 1: Volunteers vote on the statements
  • August 2 - 4: Elections Committee selects the top 15 statements
  • August 5 - 12: candidates align themselves with the statements
  • August 15: The Election Compass opens for voters to use to help guide their voting decision

The Elections Committee will select the top 15 statements at the beginning of August

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

MNadzikiewicz (WMF) 21:01, 27 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Bot policy[recensere]

Hello. To facilitate steward granting of bot access, I suggest implementing the standard bot policy on this wiki. In particular, this policy allows stewards to automatically flag known interlanguage linking bots (if this page says that is acceptable) or bots that fix double redirects. The policy also enables global bots on this wiki (if this page says that is acceptable), which are trusted bots that will be given bot access on every wiki that allows global bots.

This policy makes bot access requesting much easier for local users, operators, and stewards. To implement it we only need to create a redirect to this page from Project:Bot policy, and add a line at the top noting that it is used here. If you use or prefer to use a dedicated project page for handling bot flag requests, that is also acceptable. Please read the text at Meta-Wiki before commenting. If you object, please say so; I hope to implement in two weeks if there is no objection, since it is particularly written to streamline bot requests on wikis with little or no community interested in bot access requests. Thank you for your consideration. --Rschen7754 00:43, 31 Iulii 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The 2022 Board of Trustees election Community Voting period is now open[recensere]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi everyone,

The Community Voting period for the 2022 Board of Trustees election is now open. Here are some helpful links to get you the information you need to vote:

If you are ready to vote, you may go to SecurePoll voting page to vote now. You may vote from August 23 at 00:00 UTC to September 6 at 23:59 UTC. To see about your voter eligibility, please visit the voter eligibility page.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

MNadzikiewicz (WMF)

Invitation to join the Movement Strategy Forum[recensere]

Formula:More languages

Hello everyone,

The Movement Strategy Forum (MS Forum) is a multilingual collaborative space for all conversations about Movement Strategy implementation.

We are inviting all Movement participants to collaborate on the MS Forum. The goal of the forum is to build community collaboration, using an inclusive multilingual platform.

The Movement Strategy is a collaborative effort to imagine and build the future of the Wikimedia Movement. Anyone can contribute to the Movement Strategy, from a comment to a full-time project.

Join this forum with your Wikimedia account, engage in conversations, and ask questions in your language.

The Movement Strategy and Governance team (MSG) launched the proposal for the MS Forum in May 2022. There was a 2-month community review period, which ended on 24 July 2022. The community review process included several questions that resulted in interesting conversations. You can read the Community Review Report.

We look forward to seeing you at the MS Forum!

Best regards,

the Movement Strategy and Governance Team

User:MNadzikiewicz (WMF) 11:31, 29 Augusti 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The Vector 2022 skin as the default in two weeks?[recensere]

The slides for our presentation at Wikimania 2022

Hello. I'm writing on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Web team. In two weeks, we would like to make the Vector 2022 skin the default on this wiki.

We have been working on it for the past three years. So far, it has been the default on more than 30 wikis, including sister projects, all accounting for more than 1 billion pageviews per month. On average 87% of active logged-in users of those wikis use Vector 2022.

It would become the default for all logged-out users, and also all logged-in users who currently use Vector legacy. Logged-in users can at any time switch to any other skins. No changes are expected for users of these skins.

About the skin[recensere]

[Why is a change necessary] The current default skin meets the needs of the readers and editors as these were 13 years ago. Since then, new users have begun using Wikimedia projects. The old Vector doesn't meet their needs.

[Objective] The objective for the new skin is to make the interface more welcoming and comfortable for readers and useful for advanced users. It draws inspiration from previous requests, the Community Wishlist Surveys, and gadgets and scripts. The work helped our code follow the standards and improve all other skins. We reduced PHP code in Wikimedia deployed skins by 75%. The project has also focused on making it easier to support gadgets and use APIs.

[Changes and test results] The skin introduces a series of changes that improve readability and usability. The new skin does not remove any functionality currently available on the Vector skin.

  • The sticky header makes it easier to find tools that editors use often. It decreases scrolling to the top of the page by 16%.
  • The new table of contents makes it easier to navigate to different sections. Readers and editors jumped to different sections of the page 50% more than with the old table of contents. It also looks a bit different on talk pages.
  • The new search bar is easier to find and makes it easier to find the correct search result from the list. This increased the amount of searches started by 30% on the wikis we tested on.
  • The skin does not negatively affect pageviews, edit rates, or account creation. There is evidence of increases in pageviews and account creation across partner communities.

[Try it out] Try out the new skin by going to the appearance tab in your preferences and selecting Vector 2022 from the list of skins.

How can editors change and customize this skin?[recensere]

It's possible to configure and personalize our changes. We support volunteers who create new gadgets and user scripts. Check out our repository for a list of currently available customizations, or add your own.

Our plan[recensere]

If no large concerns are raised, we plan on deploying in the week of October 3, 2022. If your community would like to request more time to discuss the changes, hit the button and write to us. We can adjust the calendar.

If you'd like ask our team anything, if you have questions, concerns, or additional thoughts, please ping me here or write on the talk page of the project. We will gladly answer! Also, see our FAQ. Thank you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 04:14, 22 Septembris 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]